Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
January 24, 2019, 06:31:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Run for the border (southern Colorado)  (Read 1287 times)
Gary

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »

I made a run up to southern Colorado today to check on my place in Alamosa. The weather was great, a tad nippy starting out in the mid 50's. The forecast had scattered showers so I had planned on getting wet at least on the return trip.

I got out of the house before 8 and was on my way. No stop at my usual spot to check out Rio Chama just before Abiquiu this morning since I had hoped to minimize my rain experience today and it was slated for somewhere around 11:00.

As I rolled into Chama I could tell the train was either getting ready to or had just taken off from all the black smoke in the air.

Lots of camera folks out after the train this morning. Got a few shots of the Rio Grande Express just north of Chama.

And made my way thru scenic byway 17. It was kind of nice seeing the colors trying to break through.

Here's a few of the Conejos River just north of Platorro.

It really is a nice stretch of road along through there. There are two ways to get to Alamosa and this one is my favorite. It does add at least an hour to the trip, each way, but it is always worth it.

The house was fine, chatted with my neighbors for a bit and made my way back. Unfortunately the clouds had moved in over my incoming route so I took the less favorable route back. It is faster. I made it back about 3:30 without a drop. Just over 300 miles round trip.

Take care.

LadyDraco

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:54:45 AM »

Great photos as always Gary....
Ah I miss that area so much...
Thanks for sharing...
Glad you got out and took a nice ride...

TISE
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
it's not the end.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »

Thanks for the pictures, Gary. Loved the scenery and I always love pictures of trains.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: