Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
July 21, 2019, 12:27:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Niagara Falls - Black Hills Run - grab a beverage, several pic's  (Read 1967 times)
Gary

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »

Just got back home on Sunday from a great trip out to NY to visit Niagara Falls with some stops off in OK, MO, IL, with my son Nick.

The weather was great pretty much the entire trip. We did cage-it this trip in Nicks Jeep and did some camping along the way.

Stop 1 was in Elk City, OK to check out the newly built hospital I use to work at. What a beautiful place I might add, sure hope they get some business to help pay them construction costs.  Wink

Nick and I drove in shifts since he works nights and his night vision is fine. We stopped in Stanton, MO to camp at the Meramec Campground right near The Caverns and then visited the Caverns that next morning. This shot taken along the river at the campground.

Next stop - The Gateway Arch, St. Louis, MO. I had seen and been passed the Arch over the years but had never been up into it.

A gander at the Mighty Mississip from the Top of The Arch.

A brief unscheduled stop off at Beardstown, IL because, well... you get the idea.  Grin

Next stop - The Quad Cities - East Moline, IL to visit with an old work partner and then on to NY. We hit Niagara in the evening and made a run for the border (Canadian) to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe and check out the Falls at night.

The next morning we took out on a formal scenic tour of the Falls.

The Falls were beautiful as was the weather but since we still had some time left we decided to make the trip out toward South Dakota with a stop off at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum in Cleveland. Sorry, no cameras allowed in the Museum...  Huh

Next planned stop, The Black Hills. We stayed overnight in Rapid City, SD and headed for Sturgis, and then Deadwood via the scenic route hwy 14A stopping for some photo opp's at Bridal, Spearfish and Roughlock Falls. 

This shot was taken along hwy 14A - Spearfish Falls

Roughlock Falls

We strolled through Deadwood and had a cold one or two at Deadwood Dicks Saloon.

Pactola Lake? Taken along hwy 385S heading toward Mt Rushmore.

By this time The Dead Presidents were already showing dark shadows due to the sun's position so we went to the Spokane Campground down the road a piece with a quick stop in Keystone to pick up some essentials. I'm glad we did, the general store at the campground was closed early being the "off-season".

The sky remained clear all night and the next day, perfect for checking out The Heads. By the way, the road to Mt Rushmore from the campground, Iron Mountain Road, hwy 16A was pretty cool, got to come back on the bike for more Black Hills for sure. It offers 17.1 miles with: 314 curves, 14 switchbacks, 3 pigtail bridges, 3 tunnels and 15 burros (still don't know about the burros...).

On the way out we came up on a nice little stretch of road and Horsethief Lake. This is just what Nick had been looking for... a great place to do some rock diving, jumping, etc.

That was the scenic part of the trip. We got back in to Los Alamos about 4AM Sunday morning, got caught up on some laundry and Nick is back on the road to So Cal as of this morning (Monday) about 10:30am.

It was great sharing some time with Nick and getting to scratch off a few more from the check list.

Hope you enjoy the pic's. I'll post a link to many, many more taken (600 plus) on the trip when I get a chance to upload them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:52:13 PM by Gary » Logged

LadyDraco

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »

Great photo's  as all ways Gary.... Cheesy
You always bring back such fond memories for me....
The only place I  never took a visit was the Arch...
Passed it a few times,Just never stopped....

The last time I was in SD was 03...
Hey did you get into Water Hole #10 Huh
That was the Saloon That  Hickok was shot in...

Sure looks like you and Nick had a Blast!!!!!

Thanks for sharing !!!!

TISE
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
it's not the end.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:33:03 AM »

Hey Gary...Great trip and great pics. I'm glad you got to spend time with your son.

Too bad the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame doesn't allow cameras. I would have liked to see some pictures. It seems that more and more places are forbidding cameras, and for obvious reasons I suppose. I'm planning to see the inside of the place one of these days.
Jim_Orr

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »

Sounds you and Nick had a wonderful trip and of course you missed your true calling as a photographer.  I have no doubt though what will be most remembered about this trip will be the time you and Nick spent together. 

Gary

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:35:52 AM »

Hey did you get into Water Hole #10 Huh
That was the Saloon That  Hickok was shot in...

Now why didn't you tell me about Waterhole #10 sooner? Smiley Next trip for sure.

LadyDraco

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:07:11 AM »

Now why didn't you tell me about Waterhole #10 sooner? Smiley Next trip for sure.

Ahh..Didn't know you were going to SD !!!!  Shocked  Grin
I surly would have told you if I knew  Kiss
Isn't Needles highway cool !! Did ya run to crazy horse Huh
And Devils tower .. Well Yellowstone was only 300 miles away... Roll Eyes

TISE
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
it's not the end.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: