Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
March 25, 2019, 03:59:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mesa Verde & Zion NP's Run (long, of course)  (Read 3855 times)
Gary

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »

As mentioned in my previous Mammoth Lakes RR, I'd left off in San Clemente, leaving my bike at my sister place in SC.

My son and I headed back to New Mexico in his jeep to hold a Yard Sale at my place. Following the Yard Sale we came back to San Clemente via the more scenic route vs I-40. We headed due NW to Mesa Verde NP. Mesa Verde offers some nice roads and scenic views, especially by bike.

If you're into cliff dwellings, this is the place for you. We have our own in Bandelier NP in my own backyard, this place exceeds that.

Ready? We ate our Subway footlongs while this guy loomed overhead. Neat sculpture!

This local was hanging out as we were checking out the campground/sites.

The views from the various pull outs and overlooks were great.

Since it was getting late in the day by now, we called it a day/night, stayed in the area and came back the next day.

As you can see, the new days weather was threatening to cause some challenges...

Now for some cliff dwellings.

Imagine coming back from a long day at the... hunt, and then having to climb up to your complex with your days score?

We did see a fellow Valker on the trip, didn't meet them but seemed to be a family of 4 on this pup with AZ plates. Anyone you know?

Center screen...

Some you can go right into or get up close, others sites require a tour.

The weather held up great for the days run and the overall trip in general.

Next stop, Zion NP.

South side distant view of Monument Valley traveling along Hwy 160W just before Kayenta, AZ.

We did an overnighter in Kanab, UT and hit Zion NP in the a.m.. Since this was tourist season, camp sites and most motels were booked solid. We lucked upon a decent place to stay, The Treasure Trails Motel and then had a nice dinner at The Rocking V Cafe. What kind of ale do you drink when in Zion???

After dinner, due to limited dessert options, we strolled down the street to a recommended stop for a couple slices at Houston's Trails End Restaurant : coconut cream and banana cream. Now that's what I'm talk'n... The place was jump'n so we brought these babies back to the room.

Zion makes for a nice cruise and has some great hiking but is pricey without a park pass. I believe its about $20.00 to get in otherwise.  Undecided

We spend a few hours hiking and hanging at Zion but had received a call earlier that dad's/granddads health took another dive so we limited our time there and made our way southbound. I stuck around SC for about a week, spending time with dad and headed back to New Mexico with the bike with a brief overnighter at my daughters in Vegas. Here's a few early a.m. shots taken on route to Vegas, I believe along I-15N.

Some pretty decent storm activity just to my west side, I say lets keep it there.

I get to Vegas, check with my daughter to see if she can break for lunch with her dad but passes me on to my son-in-law since she just got back  from taking time off to spend with her grandpa. Had a great lunch with my son-in-law and then later dinner with the family.

Now this is how I prefer Vegas, 5AM, less than a handful of cars on the freeway, temp running about 84 deg... 

Hwy 93S, with Kingman, AZ about an hour or so away...

So I manage to skirt any storms for most of this return scenic trip but find this waiting for me on my own stomping grounds... Welcome Back!

That's Las Vegas New Mexico by the way, almost home. The Nevada version I just came from much earlier today is a healthy 650 miles due west.

I cross over the Rio Grande and make it home in 11 hours hitting only a medium isolated storm cell or two in New Mexico.

Had a great trip, spending time with my son, daughter, dad and family in general.

Hope you enjoyed the pic's.

For many more from the trip click the link below. I'd suggest using the slideshow method.
Mesa Verde & Zion NP's Run

LadyDraco

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »

Great pic as always !!!

Hey  you should just look into the parkpass..

TISE
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
it's not the end.
Gary

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »

Yup, got one for the past couple years at least at $80 a pop. Always try to make sure I get my moneys worth too.  Grin

Can't believe the non-pass fee.  Shocked

Leatherman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »

Great pic's as always Gary. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry to hear your Dad's having trouble. Hope things improve soon.

Never be afraid to try something new. After all, a lone amateur built the Ark while a group of professionals built the Titanic.
LadyDraco

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »

Yup, got one for the past couple years at least at $80 a pop. Always try to make sure I get my moneys worth too.  Grin

Can't believe the non-pass fee.  Shocked

We now  have the permanent Life time Pass...

I too hope all is well with your family...

TISE
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
it's not the end.
Gary

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes all. Dad has since moved on and has now joined mom who took her leave back in April.

I've made several bike trips back and forth across AZ, this time I plan to fly, services slated for 9/7... Lips sealed

Leatherman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »

Our hearts and prayers are with you Gary.

Never be afraid to try something new. After all, a lone amateur built the Ark while a group of professionals built the Titanic.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: