Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
December 08, 2021, 07:23:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for Fog light Electrician  (Read 2346 times)
Marketman

steve.davidson@usinfotel.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:27:39 PM »

I recently mounted a set of fog lights on a Valk Interstate, and when I proceeded to step into the wiring jungle, decided it may be better not to.  (Wisdom is knowing when your not Mr. Everything)  Thus I called Maxey's and others and was told to drop the bike off for 3-4 weeks and they'll get around to it. (fer sure)   If anyone has done this before, I would be more than happy to pay to get this done right.  (I can do 110V electrical, but it always seems to smoke & pop when I flip the switch)....

I would also like suggestions on how to wire, in tandem with headlights, with or without switch etc;  The lights are more for daytime running than night time fog, but I suspect they should be wired with switch anyway to avoid too much night time light etc;  The lights are mounted underneath the bottom of the crashbar.  

Appreciate any feedback etc;

Steve Davidson
405 516 2420 x 200
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 07:44:54 PM »

steve you will need to add a relay in your wiring
hooking any extra lights/electric draw  to your headlight wiring will burn out your starter button/switch. All juice for your headlight runs throw it when stock
here is a link to how to wire it up
i learned the hard way before finding this

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/foglites.html
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:15:25 PM »

The above advice is good.  The link he provided, is more than you'll ever want to know on the subject.  Chet, from Rattlebars is good people, and his website is filled with good information.

This is the diagram I would suggest following for your wiring:  

It might seem complicated but its really not.  Basically, when the switch is down you get 12v from the brown wire if the key is on.  That triggers the relay and your fog lights come on.  If the switch is in the up position, and the high beams are on you get 12v from the blue wire which triggers the relay/turns on the fog lights.  Low beams on, and the fog lights go off.  This is how I have mine wired.

Now, on a Standard/Tourer you can find those wires(brown and blue) in the headlight shell.  Where to find those wires on an Interstate I'm not sure.  Maybe one of our Interstate owners could help out.  Tim for example, is a wiring guru on the Interstate.

-Scott

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:41:54 PM »

Yep, the diagrams make it look crayola easy.  
Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: