Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
December 08, 2021, 06:36:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Get your bike fixed, Blackjack?  (Read 5702 times)
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »

Just curious if you figured anything out John?  Overtemp idiot light coming on?

-Scott

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

Yep. The old idiot temp. light is coming on...and staying on for some time. It'll go off for a short time and then it comes back on. My antifreeze is up to level in the radiator and plastic overflow tank. The fan doesn't come on.

Someone suggested it might be the "sensor." I don't know where that is located. I looked in my Clymer manual to see what to do. All the suggestions said step one was to remove the radiator. I haven't summoned up enough nerve to do that yet. I'll probably just take it Maxey's.

Any ideas?
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »

Allow me to look at my bike(and manual), and get back to you.

The fan and temp switch are separate.  So if the fan never came on, it is doubtful that the bike is actually overheating.

In the meantime, you might take off the right side neck cover and re-seat all the connectors.  Should be a 2 pin connector for the temp sensor. (I think!)

-Scott

stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »

black jack  lower left corner of back of radiator is where fan sensor is. i had to change mine last summer, was over heatting and boiling clutch hydrolic fluid
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:43:31 PM »

Quote from: "stovepipe"
black jack  lower left corner of back of radiator is where fan sensor is. i had to change mine last summer, was over heatting and boiling clutch hydrolic fluid

His problem isn't the fan switch, as the bike isn't overheating.  The idiot light just comes on.  The temp sender is on the thermostat housing....

-Scott

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:27:29 AM »

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I'll check out what's under the right side neck cover and see what I can see.
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:16:55 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"

His problem isn't the fan switch, as the bike isn't overheating.  The idiot light just comes on.  The temp sender is on the thermostat housing....

-Scott

Maybe I should rephrase that.  I ASSUME its not overheating.

-Scott

Gryphon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »

Mine was doing the same thing, '98 Standard, and I installed a guage to get a  real temperature.  I was afraid I would get into the habit of ignoring the light and actually have a problem some day.  I intend to replace the sensor with the later model one of these days, but it hasn't been a big priority.

Gryphon

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
VRCCDS0129
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 05:53:01 PM »

Gryphon...Tell me about your water temperature gauge. Where did you get it? How did you install it? This might be a good option for me. Thank you.
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 06:04:36 PM »

i found these on line they seem the best looking setup i could find .
but the prices has kept me from getting them
thought you might be interested
http://www.motosens.com/index.htm
Gryphon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »

Quote from: "Blackjack"
Gryphon...Tell me about your water temperature gauge. Where did you get it? How did you install it? This might be a good option for me. Thank you.

I got the Motosens guage.  There is a thread on the tech board at the VRCC site that discusses some of the other options.  They discussed both alternate guages and sensor locations.  I chose mounting the sensor into the block instead of the outlet adapter so I would know if it was the thermostat not opening.  The only issue I can see with the Motosens recommended location is that you see an instant drop when the water starts to flow and returns from the radiator.  You might have a more stable reading with the sensor on top of the block.  The Motosens wiring harness is a bit pricey, but it makes installation a snap, especially if you are planning on more guages.  (I also put in a voltmeter)  If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
VRCCDS0129
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »

Whats your schedule look like the Monday-Wednesday after Easter, John?

If we had a temp sender I think we could have it replaced in an hour or two.

What say ye?

-Scott

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »

Hey Scott...I already dropped off my bike at Road and Track in Edmond. Road and Track is a little independent bike shop that gets a lot of repair business.

Your offer sounds great to me and I'd surely take you up on it. I really do appreciate your generosity, especially considering how busy you are. I can't thank you enough for all the things you've already done. Not just for me but for all the riders in SSVR and VRCC.

I'm sure that everyone feels the same way.  :!:
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »

Quote from: "Blackjack"
Hey Scott...I already dropped off my bike at Road and Track in Edmond. Road and Track is a little independent bike shop that gets a lot of repair business.

Your offer sounds great to me and I'd surely take you up on it. I really do appreciate your generosity, especially considering how busy you are. I can't thank you enough for all the things you've already done. Not just for me but for all the riders in SSVR and VRCC.

I'm sure that everyone feels the same way.  :!:

You are quite welcome John.  I just hate to see you fork over a bunch of cash if it isn't absolutely necessary.   Its not a difficult repair even tho it looks/sounds like it is.

Maybe we should just go for a ride instead?

-Scott

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »

Yep. I appreciate what you're saying about shelling out the cash.

Going for a ride sounds like a great idea. I should have bitten the bullet when the weather wasn't so nice and got my bike fixed. Then I'd be ready to go.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: