Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
October 19, 2021, 08:57:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bad Bad Day  (Read 5484 times)
kiamichiman

View Profile Email
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »

On a Talimena Drive trip two weeks ago the Valk developed a strange whirring type noise in what I thought was the timing belt area.  I read the manual two times and thought that I could handle changing the timing belts without problem.  This decision was based on an opinion of a Goldwing rider at work, he thought that since my Valk only had 22,000 miles, but was ten years old, that it could be a timing belt coming apart.  I put the new belts on without any problems except that one of the adjusters seemed to have a noisey bearing.  I put everything back together with the new belts and all was fine except the strange noise was still there.  I ordered two new timing belt adjusters and installed them last night.

Now for the bad part.

After installing the new adjusters I fired the valk only to hear a bunch of bad noise.  I'm sure you know what that was, when I removed the adjuster the compression in the engine had moved the  right side cam belt gear.  It only ran 2 or 3 seconds, but the damage was done!  I corrected the timing belt positioning.  She just doesn't run right and has some noticeable clicking noise from the right side now.  She is still firing on all six cylinders though,  I pulled the spark plug wires individually you can definately tell a difference in the engine, pull one and you loose rpm's.

I adjusted the valves clearances tonight to the recommended specs.  What I didn't think to do was turn the crank and watch the rocker arms to see if one was bent before I put everything back together.  I will tackle that tomorrow.

Has anyone ever done this before?  If so what was the damage?

I feel like a complete idiot for not checking the proper timing belt marks, I know I should have done this, but I just didn't notice that the cam had spun before I tightened the adjusters.  At least the left side was still OK.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I'm sure you are tired of me posting my problems on your website but I don't know what else to do.  I can't afford, nor do I want, to take it to a dealer everytime something goes wrong.  I know, it appears that I should though.  I may have just learned a very expensive lesson...

Your opinions and advice will be deeply appreciated.

Thank You
Myles

LadyDraco

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:31:01 AM »

Dang Myles... 
Sorry to hear that... Cry
I wish you well in gettting your baby going strong again..

TISE
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then
it's not the end.
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »

Probable damage cam either be bent valve/s or valve go's thrue piston.
If valve went thrue piston bike would more then likely smoke very badly on that side.
I'm guessing you bent a valve.
Heres a link to a place that parts out bikes and a head they have for sale.
Would be the fastest/easyest fix for you then having to pull head apart as well as pulling head and just changing it out with another.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Valkyrie-GL1500-1500-RIGHT-CYLINDER-HEAD-VALVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ10066QQihZ003QQitemZ130262952331QQtcZphoto

stovepipe
lastdragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »

I agree with Stovepipe.  You probably bent a valve and or the valve stem. If you are lucky you will be able to change out the valve and blend out the spot in the top of the piston where the valve hit. 

Ronnie Evans
Yukon, America
03 Black Valkyrie
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »

I agree, likely a bent valve.  I would think a compression check would tell you which one(s).

You are not the first to have that happen, as I've seen it reported on the main VRCC tech board a few times over the years.

Maybe Mike Brown(Vger) could step in here and give some advice.  He's worked extensively with the Valkyrie Heads over the years.

If you decide to tear into it, I'll be happy to lend a hand....

-Scott

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."
kiamichiman

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »

If I purchase another head, Do I need to buy the same year or are they all the same?  I've read on one of the other boards the the California models had different cams.  Would I need to send to a machine shop to verify it is good to install? 

Is there anyone that I could send the current head to and have inspected and get an opinion on whether to rebuild or replace, individual or business, that Y'all trust?  I sincerely want her to be as silky smoothe after the work as she was before I made the fatal mistake.  I still get sick to my stomach every time I walk past her.

Scott, Thanks so much for your offer to lend a hand, I could certainly use some supervision on this project.  I hope to start removing some of the less critical parts tomorrow, seat, gas tank, air horn, timing belt cover, highway pegs, exhaust etc.  Will the air box need to be removed?  I read on the VRCC that you could suspend the carbs with a bungee cord in order to remove the head.  I will make myself available any day after 5pm and provide dinner, probably delivery.  I am commited for the next three weekends to family functions however.  I feel confident that I can get the head removed but not sure how the water pipes are sealed, suspect o-rings?  If you have some time in the next couple months to direct/oversee the install I would be forever indebted.

Thanks to everyone.
Myles
Vger

vgertek@cox.net
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »

Hey Myles, it's not a big problem. New set of gaskets and I've probably got everything else needed for repairs. I've replaced heads with old gaskets but I don't like taking the chance.

Give me a ringggggg. 285-0036  830-6339. I'm in N. Edmond

Mike Brown
Have a good one
Vger
kiamichiman

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »

Mr. Brown,

What would be a good time for me to call you? 

Thank You
Myles
Vger

vgertek@cox.net
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 04:37:35 AM »

Myles, anytime is fine, I'm projecting around my house and don't take my cell outside so, when yer feelin froggy just call, we'll get some details worked out.

Have a good one
Vger
kiamichiman

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »

I guess I was feelin "froggy" last night and called Vger.  His knowledge/experience with the Valkyrie  is incredible.  He absolutely made me feel at ease about my problem.  He told me what I needed to do to get the head removed, thank goodness I didn't have to remove nearly as many parts as I thought.

I removed the head tonight without any problems.  What I think is good news: I can't visually see any damage, at least to me, to any pistons and there is no obvious damage to any valves.  The final verdict is up to Vger however.

Thanks to Vger, I'm thinking I may be back on the road again soon and knowing that I don't have to take it to a dealership with a little to no experienced mechanic I'm sleeping much better.

Thank You
Myles
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: