Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
October 19, 2021, 08:03:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Silencing loud pipes?  (Read 4668 times)
BudMan

"Two's In."

bhammond@drc.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:01 AM »

Hello everyone!
I’m the new kid on the block and come right in looking for help. 
I just looked inside my pipes and discovered why it is so loud.  First of all, the normal rectangular opening in the tail pipe is round and about 4 inches in diameter. When I look in there I can see that the “piggies?” have been cut off about ½ inch aft of the muffler. I removed the tail cone and can see in the muffler what appears to be ½ inch holes drilled in the first surface inside the muffler. 
I doubt I can do anything about the holes (assuming they are not supposed to be there) but I am planning on having pipes put back in place of the piggies.
Has anyone on the board ever done this?
What do ya’ll thank my chances of success are?
Thanks a bunch!

Buddy
Tecumseh OK
VRCC # 30158
MOOT# 263
'76 XL-350 (Single)
'48 EL Harley (V-Twin)
'84 V-65 Magna (V-4)
'99 Valkyrie IS (Flat-6)
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »

Its been done before.  I would assume that welding new piggies back on would quiet it down some but if that baffle plate has been drilled there isn't much you can do about that.  Except maybe find a set of stock pipes that haven't been modified. (Ebay for example).

My Interstate is the same as you describe(it was that way when i bought it).  After running Cobra's and Glasspacks on my Std for quite a few years I was ready for something a little quieter, and my Interstate is just about right.  It has a little growl to it but not enough to be annoying.  However, if you want it quiet...they are too loud.

-Scott

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »

budman
i have a set of stock pipes off my '98 std that you can have , i had a wreck and put cobra's on.
 thow one side has minor damge to the crome covers and tip,
russell gave me another tip and the cover just needs tweeking back in place
there just laying in my garage attack
i'm in west tulsa, if you want to come get them
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »

budman
i have a set of stock pipes off my '98 std that you can have , i had a wreck and put cobra's on.
 thow one side has minor damge to the crome covers and tip,
russell gave me another tip and the cover just needs tweeking back in place
there just laying in my garage attack
i'm in west tulsa, if you want to come get them

There you go BudMan.  Take the covers off your pipes, put them on the set that stovepipe is offering up....and you're all set with quiet stock pipes. Smiley

-Scott

Russell

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »

Budman, If you are going to Stovepipes to get the pipes you might as well just have him bring them here and well install them. I have a few extra parts (covers & tips) laying around if you need them.
Russell
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »

russell don't forget i have the lifttable if you want to install them here as well
remember the wrench party last spring was here?
BudMan

"Two's In."

bhammond@drc.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »

This is just too good to be true!  I knew ya'll could come through.
You betcha I want to get the pipes!
I am completly at your disposal as to time.  I can leave OKC in five minutes is desired.
Oh yeah, where am I going?

Here is my contact information:
Trent Hammond
405 598 1978 Home
405 650-1929 Cell
405 681-7235 Office

Trent

Buddy
Tecumseh OK
VRCC # 30158
MOOT# 263
'76 XL-350 (Single)
'48 EL Harley (V-Twin)
'84 V-65 Magna (V-4)
'99 Valkyrie IS (Flat-6)
BudMan

"Two's In."

bhammond@drc.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »

Thanks to Stovepipe and all who assisted in the protection of what hearing I have left after 20 years of jet noise.  It's a fun way to make a living, but not easy on the ears!
We are meeting tomorrow and switching out the pipes. 
Thanks again to everyone that replied.
I’ll report back on how the trip up to T-Town was.  Sounds like it might be a mite chilly.  Oh well, that’s what long-johns are for.

BudMan out.
 Cool

Buddy
Tecumseh OK
VRCC # 30158
MOOT# 263
'76 XL-350 (Single)
'48 EL Harley (V-Twin)
'84 V-65 Magna (V-4)
'99 Valkyrie IS (Flat-6)
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »

I love it when a plan comes together!

-Scott

BudMan

"Two's In."

bhammond@drc.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »

Here’s my “Trip Report” on our trip up to Stovepipe’s place to change out the pipes.

We decided to do the change over on what turned out to be the coldest day we have had in a LONG time.  Karen and I put on all our warm riding clothes and headed out at about 0900 Sunday morning.  When we left the driveway it was 29 degrees.  Actually, we were so wrapped up and over dressed the “cool” air felt really nice!
The traffic was extremely light and ride up was not remarkable except for the trip through Chandler OK. I’ll post our observations on Chandler in the thread on this spring’s BBQ.
At Chandler we joined the Turnpike and got to Tulsa just a little after 1100. 
Richard and his Mom welcomed us to their home and made us feel really welcomed.  While the ladies chatted, we changed out the right side pipes.  When we removed the left side we decided it was time for pizza!  After refueling ourselves, it was time to put on the left bank pipes.  The left side had a little damage to the covers and gave us a bit of a problem aligning the rear mounting bolts.  It was a bit of a challenge, but nothing a big line up punch couldn’t handle.
Some more last minute tightening and it was time for Karen and I to head south.  The day had warmed to the point that we both wore lighter gloves and I removed at least one layer of clothing.
The pipes are really nice and it was a true joy to ride home without any ear plugs!
We fueled up and made it back to Tecumseh and in time to go to a movie that evening.  All in all, a great ride and a great time spent with our new friends in Tulsa.
Thanks again Richard, for everything!

Buddy
Tecumseh OK
VRCC # 30158
MOOT# 263
'76 XL-350 (Single)
'48 EL Harley (V-Twin)
'84 V-65 Magna (V-4)
'99 Valkyrie IS (Flat-6)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: