Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
December 08, 2021, 07:56:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I don't know why I keep doing this  (Read 3713 times)
lastdragon

View Profile Email
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »

Last week I bought a winter project.  I don't know why I keep doing this.  I guess I enjoy messing with them.  It is a 85 Gold Wing Aspencade.  It has everything I guess that they put on them back then.  (AM-FM, cassett, intercom, air ride suspension with an outlet to air up tires, original tools, tire gauge, owners manual, etc.) It's kind of a neat old bike, but needs a little TLC.  Top of trunk, false tank doors and front fender need paint, which I got yesterday. My son will paint them and hopefully they will match perfectly.  Needs new tires and I think a rear wheel bearing.  Got it torn down in the garage already.  I hope when I get it done it will be a nice old bike.  I will attach a link to a picture.  

http://gallery.okvalks.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10006&pos=0

Ronnie Evans
Yukon, America
03 Black Valkyrie
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 12:39:40 PM »

It looks pretty darn nice Ronnie!  Good luck with the restoration!

The bad news is it won't last you all winter.  You know you'll need another project before spring! Wink

-Scott

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."
lastdragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 01:47:12 PM »

I always say "Ill do a little here and a little there and make this project last" but I always attack it and not let up till I get er done. Still this one may take a while. I think the biggest problem will be the rear wheel bearing. I don't know what I'll get into with it.  I understand the 1200s had a problem with the right hand bearing spinning in the wheel. There are some fixes out there and parts may be a problem, but I'll bet I'll find what ever I need. Just may take a while. (If anyone has any experience or advice about the rear wheel bearing problem on the 1200, I would be glad to hear from you)

------ think I'll go ride the valk.

Ronnie Evans
Yukon, America
03 Black Valkyrie
Tom
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:02:47 AM »

That's a great looking GW, it sure doesn't look 21 years old.

I also like your bridge pictures.

Tom
lastdragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »

Thanks Tom

The bridge is the old route 66 bridge west of Bethany, Oklahoma.  It goes across the North Canadian river.  The wing is not a bad old wing.  I got new tires for it and the wheel bearing didn't spin in the wheel.  Just needed a new bearing, so I replaced both rear wheel bearings and seals.  Still waiting on the paint and a new rear brake line as whoever installed the rear wheel last time didn't assure that the left rear shock bolt went through the caliper bracket to anchor the caliper. So the only thing that kept the caliper from spinning was the brake line, and it kinda got stretched. I am amazed that it didn't break.  It looks like it was that way for a long time.
Getting it back together just a little at a time. -- Good project

Ronnie Evans
Yukon, America
03 Black Valkyrie
stovepipe1
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »

ronnie i had the interstate with the dark blue of that year, nice bike was fun till the great flood of '93 got it when i was in St.Louis.
As far as parts try Oz cycle salvage in ottawa,ks.  I found parts for my valk there when i wreck 2 years age,  The 1200 wing was built fro'84 - 87 so theres a lot out there and Oz salvage has one of the biggest yard of metric stuff you my find almost anything you want there
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 07:59:29 PM »

ronnie i had the interstate with the dark blue of that year, nice bike was fun till the great flood of '93 got it when i was in St.Louis.
As far as parts try Oz cycle salvage in ottawa,ks. I found parts for my valk there when i wreck 2 years age, The 1200 wing was built fro'84 - 87 so theres a lot out there and Oz salvage has one of the biggest yard of metric stuff you my find almost anything you want there

couldn't seem to log on the first time i added this
lastdragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »

Thanks stovepipe.  

I pretty much have it all together with only the rear brake line on back order. I'll keep Oz cycle salvage in mind if there is anything else that I can't find.  I put new elite 3s on it, and they really make the bike ride like a totally different bike. The old tires were pretty well shot. New rear wheel bearings fixed the growling clicking sound in the rear end and new paint on the trunk lid, false tank panels and front fender did wonders for the appearance.  Lots of other little things fixed.  Scott was right, I couldn't make it last all winter.  Still needs a good cleaning up.

Ronnie Evans
Yukon, America
03 Black Valkyrie
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: