Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
December 08, 2021, 07:23:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Identify this noise  (Read 4685 times)
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:56:48 PM »

A few years ago, on our Albuquerque trip I noticed what I thought was a vacuum leak squeeking and chirping.  After that trip I replaced all my vacuum lines.  On my next trip to Colorado, with Ray/RH/Buzz....it did it again in the mountains.  After THAt trip.....I desmogged and got rid of all those pesky Vacuum lines.  Then at IZ last year.....it did it again. After I got home I never noticed it again...and it hasn't done it until I was up to 7 or 8k feet in Arizona.  Now its back and followed me home.  I recorded the sound via my camera this eve.  I have no clue where it is coming from but it sounds like its under the tank/top of engine.  All vacuum plugs are good/new and the one vacuum line to the petcock doesn't seem to be the problem.  I unhooked it and the sound didn't go away.

Got any ideas?

http://www.far-riders.com/files/chirp.htm

http://www.far-riders.com/files/chirp2.htm

-Scott

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."
Jim_Orr

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 11:11:14 PM »

I would start by checking all of the carb-intake manifold and intake manifold-head connections.  The only other thing under there would be the petcock.  If that doesn't help let me know and I'll bring a mechanic stethoscope to Robbers Cave.

Leatherman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18:55 AM »

That sounds a little like a bearing going dry. Maybe an alternator or maybe a throw-out bearing in the clutch.

Never be afraid to try something new. After all, a lone amateur built the Ark while a group of professionals built the Titanic.
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »

Quote from: "Dennis Jeffrey"
That sounds a little like a bearing going dry. Maybe an alternator or maybe a throw-out bearing in the clutch.

Same basic schools of thought....one is vacuum and the other a bearing.  I guess I'll figure it out eventually....

I will note that the alternator is new, and I just had the clutch out of the bike.  The bearing in the clutch looked/felt good....but that doesn't mean its not going out.

-Scott

TwoGuns

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 01:05:36 PM »

Hmmmmm! It's a bird....it's a plane.....no, it's Superman!! I have no idea what that noise is!! I know, I was being a smart ass! I'm sorry Scott! Seriously, it sounds like an arc of some kind! It's like something is breaking down, like a spark plug or plug wire!

f at first you don't succeed,keep on sucking till you do sucK SEED!!
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »

scott you mentioned that you noticed the noise when going up or down in altitude areas could it be possable that your gas tank is trying to equlize it's self finding a place/line to let out or in air, i would try the next time to stop and open gas cap for a sec to equilize pressure and then see if noise is still there after restart
BIGMACACE

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 08:34:58 AM »

From the sound bite at first it sounds like a vacuum leak. But then again maybe the timing belt? What do ya think? Have you found it yet? Maybe it's time for the stethescope!
But here's my thought. I think the fact that you heard it a while back at higher altitudes and it subcided as you approached sea level is a fluke. This time it seems to have continued at the lower levels. After the first time your clutch started going away! Right?
I'd bet on a throw-out bearing or a bolt backing out on the plates.
Russell

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 05:30:45 PM »

This may sound stupid, My wifes bike was making that same sound and she has a 750 Shadow. It took me about three weeks to find the problem. The headlight was loose in the headlight bucket.
Does the " sound " get worse with more RPM or does it stay the same?
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 07:47:59 AM »

I've just about decided it is in the clutch, but I don't think its the bearing because that all runs in oil.  One guy on the VRCC suggested it might be the slave pin needs to be greased...

Either way I don't have time to tear into it right now.  I'm leaving for Cheaha Sunday.....so it will have to wait or leave me stranded. Smiley

-Scott

Vger

vgertek@cox.net
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 06:54:03 AM »

Try tightening the cross brace in front of the carb bank, it can produce some odd noises. I'm thinking the altitude pressure and quick temp changes could be causing a metal contraction expansion issue.

Have a good one
Anonymous
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 07:01:37 AM »

Quote from: "Vger"
Try tightening the frame cross brace in front of the carb bank, it can produce some odd noises. I'm thinking the altitude pressure and quick temp changes could be causing a metal contraction expansion issue.

Have a good one
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: