Sooner State Valkyrie Riders
December 08, 2021, 06:22:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Homepage : Photo Albums : VRCC : VRCC BBS : VRCC Tech : Shoptalk : Classifieds
News: Spring is upon us!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: October 6, The 3rd Annual Fall Wrench Party  (Read 33150 times)
Jim_Orr

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »

I have experienced 3 episodes of headshake in the last year.  The first time  was in Colorado, on the way to Inzane.  I changed lanes at about 90 and when I got into a rut the front end started shaking.  The second time was at Robbers Cave this spring when I passed a Harley at a 100 plus.  This last time was this weekend when I passed a car south of town at about 70-75.  The first two times I was clearly riding faster than I should have been and the rear of the bike was loaded down with stuff.  This last time the road was smooth and no ruts and I wasn't going that fast.  This time the shake was more intense too.  I keep the tires inflated to 40 in the front and 36 in the rear.  I know this is too big a deal to repair at a wrench party but I would like to figure out what is wrong so I can plan out my winter projects.

stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »

i hope to join all you guys and get to meet you all for one.
if things all go as planned i will bring tools & lift, i'll trailer mine so maybe work on it as well as others too.
 i also want to find out what them orr burgers are like, lol

P.S. for all those with leather lyke bags , did you all know they now have 3 sizes of travel pack/trunks now too
i plan on getting the big one once i find the funds, lol
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 09:34:58 PM »

Get rid of that car tire. Cheesy

-Scott

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers."
Goose
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 05:53:05 AM »

Replacing the steering head bearings and/or checking that they are tightened to the right torque values might help. I think that's where I'd start first if everything else looks good.

I have the notorious Goldwing wobble in mine between the 30-40 mph range. The dealer doesn’t seem to be worried about it. I’ve read many posts about this on the Goldwing boards. Some have changed tires, installed a tapered bearing in the steering head, changed air pressures and installed a fork brace with and without good results. I installed a fork brace and keep the tires properly inflated but still have the wobble. I just live with it for now and see what happens when I put another set of tires on. My 05 wing didn't have a wobble, nor the Valk.
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 05:01:50 PM »

Quote from: "stovepipe"
i hope to join all you guys and get to meet you all for one.
if things all go as planned i will bring tools & lift, i'll trailer mine so maybe work on it as well as others too.
 i also want to find out what them orr burgers are like, lol

P.S. for all those with leather lyke bags , did you all know they now have 3 sizes of travel pack/trunks now too
i plan on getting the big one once i find the funds, lol

No need to bring a lift or tools, unless you just want to.  I believe Jim has all the above.  Got some specific work you want to do?

-Scott

BIGMACACE

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »

Hey Guys, Just a warning for ya. I may be able to make the party after all. Seems as though the reunion organizers have nothing planned for Saturday morning or early afternoon. So I might be able to show for a couple of hours  and leave about 3 or so.
What? Did I here an "AH SHIT, the bastards gonna show up again!" from the cheap seats?Huh LOL.
If I've got the Valk running I'll bring it and the FUBAR'ed pieces that shelled. Just so everybody can see what happened.
Scott
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 07:34:51 PM »

Bring it on Buster.  Wouldn't be the same without ya!

-Scott

Jim_Orr

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 02:29:06 PM »

Quote from: "BIGMACACE"

What? Did I here an "AH SHIT, the bastards gonna show up again!" from the cheap seats?Huh LOL.
If I've got the Valk running I'll bring it and the FUBAR'ed pieces that shelled. Just so everybody can see what happened.

Come on Buster and I'll be sure to fix you a "Special" Orr Burger :wink:  Does anybody know where I can get some habenero peppers?  LOL

Stovepipe,  I have a Sears motorcycle lift, a heavy duty floor jack, and a air compressor with impacts.  If you want to bring some hand tools go ahead but I don't think you need bring anything that wouldn't fit in your saddlebags.  Is there anything special you need to do with your Valk?

DrBob

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »

Aww hell, was planning to go and meet everyone, but realized I've got to be in Denver that weekend.  Would cancel, but it's a paying gig...
  Just bought my Valk Tourer in June, broke it in by riding it back from Sheridan, Wyo.  Just love the damn thing!

Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!"
stovepipe

167546708 dadypipe57 stovpipe2
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 07:17:06 PM »

mainly i'd like to pull back wheel and grease the splines, and if anyone would know how to tune it so i get a little better mileage ( barely can get 30mpg if that)
W0QNX

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 09:29:47 PM »

We plan to be there to eat a burger. Scott was nice enough to provide me a handicap motorcycle parking spot, hope you can do the same for my broken old bones body.

Raymond and Rhonda

aymond
Andover, Kansas
Jim_Orr

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 10:14:23 PM »

Quote from: "W0QNX"
We plan to be there to eat a burger. Scott was nice enough to provide me a handicap motorcycle parking spot, hope you can do the same for my broken old bones body.

Park anywhere you want my friend.

Valker

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 07:58:50 PM »

Is it still OK for the Texas fella to come over? I am not sure what wrenching can be done, but any is good. What do we need to bring? I have a fork tool if needed. Let me know. Cheesy

May you live all the days of your life" Jonathan Swift
W0QNX

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 08:22:55 PM »

Quote from: "Jim_Orr"
Quote from: "W0QNX"

Park anywhere you want my friend.

How about I pull in and plop it down anywhere like the last time I was there?

Raymond

aymond
Andover, Kansas
BIGMACACE

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »

I know it may not mean much to Raymond (a JayHakin' WildCat ya know) but it is OU/Texas weekend. How 'bout we move the couch and that 300 inch big screen out to the garage?? It could be some good entertainment (especially if the Horns start kicking the shit out of the "Best Team Money Can Buy")!!!! LOL.
BTW, "How 'Bout Them Cowboy's" Tech bites the dust!!!! LOL. (about time we won one don't ya think???) I think T-Boone offered to FIRE somebody if we get beat again. LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: